Before your next trip to the airport, try one, or more of these great travel safe recipes to mitigate the negative effects of airport/airplane food.
***You can add/sub any vegetables you want, this is just one of my favorites***
– For the wrap use Brown Rice tortilla, Ezekiel, or Nori paper
– Fresh spinach & arugula (I like to chop it) the arugula gives it a nice “spice”
– Sliced red bell pepper (this gives it a fresh crunch with each bite)
– Sprouts (I used sunflower sprouts) these are LOADED w/nutrients
– 2-3 Slices avocado
– 2Tbsp Grandma’s Hummus or your favorite kind (be sure it is made with olive oil vs. canola oil)
– 4oz sliced chicken, beef, or AppleGate Organics deli meat
Add as much spinach and veggies as you like to this. Seriously, you’re not going to eat too many vegetables. Wrap it up in aluminum foil and keep in the fridge until just before you leave. If you are using an animal based protein source be sure to eat it within 3hrs to prevent if from spoiling. I suggest you don’t add tomatoes or anything with a high water volume. It can cause your wrap to get soggy and the juices tend to run everywhere (I speak from experience here).
These little protein bullets are great, the recipe is simple, and they travel well. Click here for the recipe
• ½ cup Organic Whole Rolled Oats
• 1 tsp Cinnamon
• 4 Whole Eggs
• 1 tsp Vanilla Extract (optional)
• 10-15 drops Liquid Stevia (I use NuStevia brand as I’ve found it to have the least amount of aftertaste…) OR 2 packets Truvia/Xylitol
• 1 tbsp melted Coconut Oil
• Nonstick Cooking Spray (I use Spectrum brand Coconut Oil Spray)
• Best if you can begin with room temperature eggs…
• Whisk eggs together and break apart the yolk.
• In same bowl, whisk in Vanilla, Stevia, Coconut Oil and Cinnamon
• Stir in Oats and pour mixture into a nonstick skillet – sprayed with nonstick cooking spray…
• Let cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes and flip… Cook for 1-2 minutes on other side…
• Remove from skillet and let cool…
• Once cooled, cut into squares or like a pizza; place in Tupperware or plastic baggies and store in fridge for easy grab and go each morning…
***The above recipe makes 1 serving. I like to make 7 on a Sunday and keep in the freezer to easily grab and go each morning. I will simply set one baggie in the fridge the night before I will need it.
Click here for the recipe
**Note: she has this as a “pre-race” meal, but it works great for travel as well**
For this you will need:
– Unsweetened dried tart cherries (double check when you buy these as most companies add sugar)
– Sprouted pecans
– Sprouted Almonds
Put 2Tbsp of each in a snack sized zip-lock bag. I suggest you store these in the fridge to increase the freshness. This is a great snack for anytime really. As always feel free to substitute any nuts or seeds you like, but still keep it to 2Tbsp of each. I suggest you use sprouted nuts & seeds as regular raw or roasted nuts & seeds contain phytates that can block absorption of nutrients and leach nutrients from your body.
Nut Butters & Veggies or Fruit:
– 1 packet Justin’s Almond, Cashew, or Pecan Butter
– 1 sliced apple or 10-15 baby carrots, celery sticks, sliced bell pepper
Time saver tip: If you don’t have time to chop the vegetables you can buy them pre-chopped at any grocery store. You can get them in the party platters or single serve
– 1 serving grass-fed whey protein
o Teras Whey
o Reserveage Organics
o Naked Whey
– Optional 1Tbsp organic cacao powder (I use Navitas Naturals)
– 2Tbsp ground chia powder (I use Navitas Naturals)
Put all ingredients in a small/thin shaker. Once you get on the plane ask the attendant to fill the shaker to your desired lever with water. You know what to do from here. You can also have a Kind Bar (5g sugar or less) or a packet of nut butter with this to further increase satiety.