THIS cauliflower! I mean… I made it for myself as part of my dinner one night when Mo was gone. I thought: “No way I’ll eat a whole head of cauliflower on my own, so great! I’ll have leftovers!” …you know where this is going, right? Yeah… Uh, no leftovers. I ate every last morsel!
I learned about Nutritional Yeast when I was practicing a plant-based lifestyle. And it has that reputation – people who can eat dairy or “normal” forms of protein from eggs, meats, etc, don’t include this in their regimens. Most have never heard of it. Plus, if you do practice a plant-based routine you know that animal proteins can add a lot of flavor to dishes, so without it, a dish can leave you longing. Nutritional Yeast will pack a punch of flavor!
So a little bit about what exactly, Nutritional Yeast is and why it is good for you:
- Nutritional yeast is a complete protein (and a plant-based one, at that!), meaning that among the 18 amino acids it contains, nine are essential ones that your body cannot produce – we must get it from the foods we eat.
- It is an immune booster due to the fact that it contains glutathione, among other things!
- It also offers a significant dose of the minerals iron, selenium and zinc + 4g of fiber per serving!
- Just a half tablespoon of some brands will provide you with a day’s worth of B vitamins, while other brands offer between 30 and 100 percent of B vitamins. These vitamins help you extract the energy from food and produce red blood cells.
- It contains little sodium and fat AND it is gluten, soy and dairy free!
So even if you are fine with dairy and have no aspirations of practicing a plant-based lifestyle, you might want to start including Nutritional Yeast into your weekly routine! You could be missing out on some good stuff!
Okay, back to my cauliflower! Did I mention it’s delicious? And I ate THE WHOLE RECIPE ALL BY MYSELF? And that sauce – it’s not a must but it really adds to the dish. It has so much flavor and it’s anti-inflammatory and so good for you and I mean… I would eat this every day! So go! Now! Make it! It will be your new favorite side dish!
Paleo Cheesy Cauliflower with Lemon Coriander Dipping Sauce
Ingredients for the Cauliflower:
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Real salt and black pepper
- 1/3 cup Bragg’s Nutritional Yeast
- 1-2 tbsp fresh dill, for garnish (optional)
Ingredients for the Dipping Sauce:
- ½ cup Primal Kitchen brand avocado oil mayonnaise
- ½ tsp raw/local honey
- ½ tbsp grain mustard
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- dash of cayenne pepper
- Real salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place cauliflower in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil; season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Transfer to a baking sheet in an even layer, without touching, and roast cauliflower until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle Nutritional Yeast over the cauliflower as soon as it comes out of the oven and gently toss to combine.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, make the dipping sauce by combining all ingredients for the sauce into a medium bowl and whisking well to combine.