These little gems are incredibly easy to make and will put a smile on any kids face… Or adult, for that matter!
Chickpeas are the “surprise” ingredient in these Cookie Dough Bites. I know… Chickpeas! You’re thinking, “Ewww…. That does not make me want to eat these…” But go with the intrigue here and make them! I promise you’ll never know chickpeas are in them by the way they taste! They literally taste just like cookie dough!
I love to keep these around the house for a healthy, go-to snack. They are great for the kiddos lunches or after school… They are also the perfect pre or post-workout snack!
We’re smack in the middle of summer as I type this, but I can’t help but suggest these for around the holidays… As a clean eating “sweet” that you can have on hand while trying to avoid all of the sugar-laden foods that are typically easier to reach for during the holiday season.
I like to make these by hand – full confession: I really dislike cleaning the food processor! Ha! But, you can easily throw all of the ingredients (except for the chocolate chips) into the food processor, give it a whirl and done! Just stir in the chocolate chips, roll into balls and bake. Easy as that!
You will love these!!
Grain Free Cookie Dough Bites
Yields about 40 cookies, slightly larger than a silver dollar…
- 1, 15oz can Chickpeas, well rinsed and patted dry with a paper towel (Eden’s brand is preferred due to quality…)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup natural almond butter
- ¼ cup raw local honey (maple syrup, if vegan…)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- ½ cup 70% or higher dark chocolate chips (use EnjoyLife brand, if vegan…)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with coconut or avocado oil cooking spray.
- Mash the chickpeas – you can use a food processor, a blender or your hand and a fork… They don’t need to have a completely smooth consistency, but fewer the chunks, the better…
- Combine all ingredients, except for chocolate chips and mix until smooth (you can use a food processor, a mixer or a spatula and mix by hand…) Make sure the chickpeas are well combined.
- Put in the chocolate chips and stir in. The dough will be very thick and sticky.
- With wet hands, form into balls approx. the size of a silver dollar. I like to use an small ice cream scoop for this…
- Place onto prepared baking sheet. If you want them to be more like “normal” cookies – slightly press down on the dough to flatten – they will not rise too much.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes. If serving immediately, allow to cool 5 minutes on the sheet pan and then serve. If storing for later, allow to cool 30 minutes and then place into an airtight container and then into the fridge.