As Holistic Nutritionists, we are always coaching clients on how to race fast AND recover fast – but not only fast, recover WELL. Could you shove a couple of donuts down your throat with a pot of coffee before a race and probably have a pretty good race? Sure. Race in and race out, though? No. Here’s why: by practicing the thinking of “I just need food so I can burn it – it doesn’t matter what it is or the quality of it…” is completely backwards.
Many people who workout a lot (we would define “a lot” as more than 6-7 hours per week…) or who are endurance athletes, etc. make the mistake of thinking that because they workout so often, they can afford to eat whatever they want, whenever they want. Again – completely backwards.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it is truly the opposite. Because you workout so much, the cleaner you need to eat. Now, can you afford to eat more? Yes, for sure! But WHAT you eat – particularly the quality of it, is vital! The higher quality food you put in, the faster you will race and recover. Not to mention the clearer you will be able to think while working or make decisions on the race-course.
We cannot say it enough: WHAT YOU PUT IN IS WHAT WILL COME OUT!
Hence: our favorite pre-race shake! Well, let’s be clear: Mo’s favorite. If you’ve been following us for a while, you know that Alix doesn’t go near bananas. If you don’t either, no worries – simply omit. But if you’re cool with them, leave it! It will make the shake really creamy in texture!
This shake is FULL of the nutrition you need prior to a race –
- The tart cherry juice and banana are fast burning carbs – but not so many that you will crash. Plus, the tart cherry juice is an incredible anti-oxidant, so it will help fight off those free-radicals that get released when racing or during a hard workout!
- The maca powder is incredible for your hormones…
- The cacao powder is an anti-oxidant and is high in iron and magnesium…
- The ground chia is a great source of fiber and the almond butter a clean source of fat – but neither will weigh you down, but will slow down digestion just long enough for this shake to last you until after your 45 – 60 minute workout or until your first bite of race fuel during the race…
- The MCT or Coconut Oil are medium chain triglycerides that the body will digest as it would carbohydrates vs fat – meaning, it won’t slow anything from getting into the bloodstream!
So if you have a big workout coming up – give this a shot! It’s one of our favorites! You will feel the difference in your ability to push!
LINK Endurance Pre-Workout Shake
- 4-6 ice cubes
- 4oz unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- 4oz tart cherry juice
- ½ banana
- 1 scoop high quality protein powder*
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 2 tbsp ground chia seeds
- 1 handful of spinach or baby kale
- ½ tbsp MCT or coconut oil
- 1 tbsp fresh ground almond butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- Blend all ingredients in a high-powered blender and drink up – ideally no more/less than 90 minutes to 2 hours prior to your race or workout start!
- We suggest the following protein powders due to their quality of ingredients and great taste:
LINK Endurance Pre Workout Shake
Blend all ingredients in a high-powered blender and drink up – ideally no more/less than 90 minutes to 2 hours prior to your race start!
We suggest the following protein powders due to their quality of ingredients and great taste: Roo Whey Protein Ancient Nutrition Bone Broth Protein Pure Encapsulations Plant Based Protein