My Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken Bowls are the ultimate easy, weeknight recipe! And, it screams SPRING!
I cannot even believe how easy this is to make. Really. I can’t. It took me 5 minutes to get it into the slow cooker and another 5 minutes to finish it up and serve.
Everything is made in the slow cooker – no extra dishes for prep… Well, except a whisk and a knife. Okay, are you convinced yet? It’s SO easy! 🙂
But aside from being easy, it is DE-licious!
I made this one evening for dinner and it had just gotten up to about 84 degrees in Dallas. It’s been in the 40’s in the mornings so 84 felt hot! So honestly? The last thing I wanted was a bowl of something hot. And I was kind of bummed that I had chosen this dish for dinner. I wanted something cool and refreshing. But guess what? This was that exactly! I served it over raw greens (I chose spinach because we LOVE spinach, but you could use any dark, leafy greens you like…) and it was so good – astringent, if you will. Which is how we should be eating this time of year… Cleansing, astringent foods.
This is the time of year for citrus, fresh fruits, raw produce, etc. You’ll see so much beautiful produce in the grocery stores right now! We LOVE this time of year!
We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken Bowls with Cauliflower Rice and Avocado
- 2lbs organic chicken breasts
- 1 quart low sodium, organic chicken bone broth
- zest and juice of 2 large lemons
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp raw/local honey
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- real salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 pre-washed container spinach or baby kale
- 2, 10oz bags cauliflower rice
- 1 large avocado
- several cilantro or parsley leaves
- In the bowl of your slow cooker, place the broth, zest and juice of the lemons, onion, honey, garlic powder, coriander, oregano, cayenne, salt and black pepper. Whisk well to combine.
- Place the chicken into the slow cooker and “nuzzle” down into the sauce so the chicken is almost completely covered.
- Set slow cooker to low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Approximately 1 hour before the crockpot tells you it’s done, take two forks and gently shred the chicken to pull apart into desired-size pieces and add in cauliflower rice and stir to combine. Cover again and let it continue to cook.
- To serve, place 1 handful spinach/baby kale on the bottom of a bowl and top with a big helping of the lemon chicken/cauliflower rice. Garnish with avocado and fresh cilantro or parsley leaves.